New Ford models: Mondeo, Fiesta, Kuga, EcoSport, EdgeSeptember 10, 2012
Ford has announced a range of new models including the Mondeo (including one-litre and hybrid versions), Fiesta, Kuga, EcoSport, Edge.
The new Mondeo is a new version of Ford’s large car and it will be equipped with the 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine which Ford say is expected to deliver best-in-class fuel official economy figures – as well as a hybrid powertrain.
The Fiesta – Europe’s best-selling small car – has been redesigned and will go on sale this year.
There will be expansion in the growing European SUV segment, starting with the all-new Kuga later this year; followed by the EcoSport small SUV within 18 months; and later, Edge, a larger, more premium utility vehicle that has proved successful in other regions.
The all-new Ford Mondeo, uniquely for the large-car segment in Europe, will feature Ford’s 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine, which is expected to deliver best-in-class fuel economy.
Built on Ford’s global CD-segment platform, the new version of Ford’s large car will be available in four-door, five-door or wagon body styles, and a first-in-segment four-door petrol hybrid electric version, Ford’s first full hybrid electric car for the European market. A diesel all-wheel-drive variant, offering superior traction, performance and handling, will be made available for the first time.
The new Fiesta has a new design inside and out, improved fuel efficiency and a host of new technologies including Ford SYNC, MyKey and Active City Stop. The Fiesta will be available with the 2012 “International Engine of the Year” 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine, which is expected to deliver best-in-class fuel economy.
The new Fiesta ST will be equipped with a 180PS 1.6-litre EcoBoost engine that delivers 20 percent more power, and a 20 percent reduction in CO 2 compared to the previous Fiesta ST; it’s expected to deliver best-in-class fuel efficiency when it goes on sale in 2013.
Ford also confirmed that the all-new B-MAX small multi-activity vehicle will go on sale next month. The B-MAX offers the exclusive Easy Access Door System with integrated B-pillar, offering a 1.5-metre unobstructed passenger opening, as well as SYNC and the 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine. The B-MAX will deliver best-in-class fuel economy in both petrol and diesel versions.
SUVs: Kuga, EcoSport, Edge
With SUV sales expected to increase by 34 percent in Europe over the next five years, Ford expects to sell more than one million SUVs in Europe in the next six years, with SUVs accounting for one in ten of all Fords sold in the region by 2016.
The all-new Kuga goes on sale later this year, a key improvement being increased levels of space.
Ford also announced that the all-new EcoSport, a global small SUV, will go on sale within 18 months. The new Ford EcoSport was designed to attract a new generation of consumers who want the utility of an SUV in a smaller vehicle. It will come available with the 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine.
The company also confirmed that the Edge – a larger, more premium crossover that is a success in North America and other markets – will also come to Europe.
Environment and technology
Ford will rapidly expand the availability of EcoBoost petrol engine technology, low CO 2 ECOnetic Technologies, vehicle electrification and driver assistance features:
- Ford’s 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine will be made available in Fiesta later this year and then EcoSport and Mondeo, following its introduction to Focus, B-MAX; C-MAX and Grand C-MAX
- Two-thirds of all the company’s vehicles in Europe will be leaders, or among the very best, in terms of fuel efficiency by 2013
- Ford’s first ever zero emission passenger car for Europe, Focus Electric, will go on sale early next year
- The Ford Mondeo Hybrid, Ford’s first full hybrid-electric vehicle for Europe
- The Ford C-MAX Energi, Ford’s first plug-in hybrid electric vehicle
- SYNC, Ford’s popular in-car connectivity system is being quickly rolled out to European vehicles such as B-MAX, Focus, C-MAX, C-MAX Grand, Fiesta and Transit Custom. By 2015, there will be more than 3.5 million SYNC-enabled vehicles on the roads of Europe
- SYNC with MyFord Touch will debut on Focus Electric and be rolled out to vehicles including Mondeo; system understands up to 10,000 voice commands and includes an eight-inch colour touchscreen
- Emergency Assistance, Ford system that directly connects vehicle occupants to local emergency services operators after an accident, will be rolled out to vehicles including Fiesta, Mondeo and EcoSport after debuting in B-MAX
- Active City Stop, already available in Focus is being rolled out to vehicles including B-MAX and Fiesta