Volkswagen BUDD-e Electric MinivanJanuary 6, 2016
The zero-emission Volkswagen BUDD-e minivan is the first Volkswagen concept car based on the new Modular Electric Drive Kit (MEB).
The Volkswagen BUDD-e has electric four-wheel drive thanks to front and rear electric motors, and has an all-electric range of up to 233 miles. The aim is that it will take only 15 minutes to charge the batteries to 80% capacity.
The new Modular Electric Drive Kit (MEB) architecture is designed specifically for electric cars.
The MEB results in a drivetrain architecture that is specifically tailored to the use of compact electric motors and high-performance batteries. The flat and space-saving battery with an energy content of 92.4 kWh is integrated into almost the entire vehicle floor of the BUDD-e. It powers two electric motors, which drive both of the axles.
- The front electric motor produces 100 kW (200 Nm), while the rear motor produces 125 kW (290 Nm); resulting in a mechanical system power of 225 kW.
- This results in a total range of up to 233 miles (USA/FTP 72) or 533 kilometers (Europe/NEDC) when the battery is fully charged, putting the BUDD-e on a level playing field with today’s gasoline-powered cars.
- The battery can either be charged by plugging it into a power socket or by inductive charging. At a charging power of 150 kW (DC), the battery is 80 percent charged after about 30 minutes.
- The concept car’s all-wheel-drive system gives the BUDD-e a top speed of 112 mph/180 km, and it can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in just 6.9 seconds.
Volkswagen claims that the BUDD-e is more thoroughly networked with its surroundings than any car before, and the BUDD-e can also drive autonomously.
The Volkswagen BUDD-e minivan, which previews a Volkswagen vehicle from 2019, is being shown at the CES 2016 event in Las Vegas along with the electric e-Golf Touch, which features a new infotainment system that’s set to go into future Volkswagen production models.
GREEN CAR GUIDE VOLKSWAGEN REVIEWS
- Volkswagen e-Golf
- Volkswagen e-Up!
- Volkswagen Golf BlueMotion
- Volkswagen Golf GTD
- Volkswagen Golf GTE
- Volkswagen Golf S 1.6-litre TDI 105 PS
- Volkswagen Polo 1-litre
- Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion
- Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion 1-litre
- Volkswagen Scirocco GT TDI 170
- Volkswagen Touran 1.6 litre S TDI BlueMotion
- Volkswagen Up!