Independent, Expert EV Reviews & Advice Since 2006
BMW 330e Touring

EV charger and energy tariff comparison site launched by Rightcharge

Rightcharge today launches the UK’s first electric vehicle (EV) energy tariff, home charging and installation online comparison service, which could save customers more than £230 per year on their energy bills. Drivers can also save more than £100 on the upfront cost of installing a charger.

Growing environmental awareness, tightening government legislation and the dramatically falling costs of EVs has driven rapid growth in the ownership of zero emission vehicles, with registrations up by 157% in 2020. However, a lack of clear information means drivers are missing the opportunity to switch to special EV energy tariffs and install smart charge points – a mistake that is costing them hundreds of pounds every year in energy bills.

“The explosion of EV ownership means there is more choice than ever – of cars, chargers and energy tariffs. However, without easy to compare information, drivers are still in the dark about what options work best for them to get the best deal” said Charlie Cook, Founder and CEO of Rightcharge. “Our free online tool is the only service on the market that solves this for drivers, providing easy to understand and impartial advice that’s tailored to every customer.”

“10 million people will switch to an electric car in the next 10 years. With the right advice, drivers can collectively save over £10 billion on home charging energy bills in the next decade.”

Rightcharge’s free online service enables drivers to find the most suitable energy tariffs and smart EV chargers, as well as the best company to install the home charger. Drivers can compare all available options, using information about their home and driving habits to tailor their results.

EV-specific energy tariffs offer cheaper energy rates at times of low demand, such as overnight. Combining this with a smart charger, which can be scheduled to charge a car at the cheapest times, saves bill payers hundreds of pounds and helps to ensure the energy is as green as possible. However, according to charging company, just 20% of EV owners currently take advantage of smart home charging, with the other 80% overpaying on their energy bills by an average of £233.19 per year, or as much as £1,102.94 per year for those who have a high annual mileage.

For example, by adopting a smart charger and a time of use tariff, drivers can charge overnight for as little as 5p/kWh – around 1p per mile. A Standard Variable Tariff, at an average 17p/kWh, would cost drivers four times more to charge their car – around 4.5p per mile.

Rightcharge’s free online tool – – offers three core services:

• Energy tariff comparison – Rightcharge is the first and only comparison service to consider if a customer has an EV when comparing energy tariffs. By asking questions about a homeowner’s car and driving habits – something that no other energy comparison site currently does – Rightcharge finds bill payers the cheapest and greenest energy tariffs on the market, that will ensure their EV is charged at the lowest cost possible.

• Home EV charger comparison – Rightcharge compares the widest range of smart chargers on the market today, matching them to drivers’ individual needs. Some drivers focus on cost, while others focus on features or aesthetics – there is no one-size-fits-all – and Rightcharge finds the best options to compare.

• Installation comparison – Rightcharge has built a UK-wide network of over 30 of the UK’s best installation companies, all of which are government-approved to safely install home EV charge points. By connecting drivers with trusted local installers at the best price, customers can save up to £110 on home charging installation costs. Rightcharge monitors the performance of all partners through customer feedback to ensure the best customer service

By switching from a petrol car to an EV and using Rightcharge’s services to find the best EV energy tariff and home charge point, drivers can expect to save an average of £670.25 – or up to £3,170.11 for those who have a high annual mileage – on fuel costs alone.