Hyundai Ioniq Electric

Temporary car insurance

If you need to drive another vehicle for a short period of time – such as the car of a friend or family member, or for a test drive or business trip, are you insured? The answer may well be no, in which case, what’s the solution? You obviously don’t want to take out a full year-long insurance policy. Thankfully, there is an answer in the form of cheap and affordable temporary car insurance.

As well as temporary car insurance covering you driving someone else’s vehicle, it can also be used in the event of someone borrowing your vehicle for a short period of time.

Temporary car insurance – providing comprehensive cover – can be for a day, a few days, weeks, or even by the hour (policies are available from 1 hour to 30 days). It can also be possible to arrange cover within half an hour.

If you need to make a claim on your temporary car insurance, will it have an impact on the No Claims Discount (NCD) on your own annual policy? No, because temporary car insurance is a standalone policy.

You can even include European cover, additional drivers and daily breakdown within temporary car insurance policies. There’s even temporary van insurance and short-term motorhome insurance.

Most drivers aged between 18 and 75 years who want to take out cheap short-term car insurance can be covered for a range of vehicles, subject to underwriting criteria.

Customers who aren’t UK licence holders or driver-registered in England can also be covered if they have a full licence from any other EU, EEA nation or Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or Switzerland valid for at least 6 months (reduced to 3 months if aged over 25).

Even learner drivers can get temporary car insurance if they’re driving in a car that belongs to a friend or family member.

But is short-term car insurance expensive? It may be cheaper than you think, and of course it offers peace of mind. It’s also quick to organise online, you could have an insurance certificate in a matter of just a few minutes.

For a quote, all you’ll need is:

  • your name, address, date of birth, email and occupation
  • the registration number of the car you want to drive
  • a passport number for non-UK licence-holders (including Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man)

Maybe you could use temporary car insurance to try out an electric car…